St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church Pastoral Plan 2007
By: Web Editor | Last Updated: 01/09/2008 13:42
Led by the Holy Spirit, rooted in the Eucharist, St. Thomas the Apostle strives to be an inclusive servant community — to be Christ in the World. We bear the Good News of God’s unconditional love to all generations through worship, faith formation, witness, and service.
1. “Go…and make disciples...” (Matthew 28). Claim the Great Commission by deepening and furthering efforts at evangelizing
• Youth and young adults
• Inactive and alienated Catholics
• Those seeking a deeper faith and relationship with Christ
• Those who would be candidates for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
2. Significantly increase “full, conscious, and active participation” of all parishioners in our liturgical, sacramental life, ministries, and spiritual renewal activities.
3. Improve communications and visibility to better identify and serve the spiritual and corporal needs of The People of God.
4. Engage in the ongoing spiritual formation of children and adults by initiating a process of intergenerational catechesis that encompasses all aspects of our Catholic faith including increasing awareness of
• Our call to mature in discipleship as baptized Christians
• Our responsibility as stewards of each other, our earth, and all God’s gifts
• The application of Catholic ethics, Social teachings and Scripture
5. Become a more inclusive, reconciling community, witnessing the connection between parish and secular life through small faith communities, neighborhood groups, ecumenical activities, and social events.
6. Reach out to others in need with the unconditional love of Jesus
• By fostering physical, spiritual, and emotional healing
• By being active in local, national, and international social justice issues
7. Ensure that every person will have a specific and ongoing experience of being invited, welcomed, and nurtured into the faith life of St. Thomas parish, especially young adults, students, single adults, the transient, the mentally/physically challenged, elderly, lonely, and those who feel separated from the Church for any reason.
8. Serve as effective stewards of our financial resources by developing and maintaining a parish budget that is aligned with our mission, parish plan, and goals which Provides for the continued effectiveness of the parish staff, facilities and programs Ensures that all major parish initiatives are tied to funding sources through rigorous financial planning
FOUNDERS VISION STATEMENT
WE, THE PEOPLE OF ST. THOMAS, ARE GATHERED TOGETHER BY GOD
AS A CATHOLIC COMMUNITY OF FAITH.
• We are challenged to accept God as the heart and center of our lives.
• We are the Body of Christ by our Baptism, members of one another.
• We believe each life is sacred, each person gifted by God.
• We value diversity in our midst.
• We try to discern the Spirit’s direction by prayer and by listening to the wisdom of all.
• We share our lives in laughter, at times in tears, enjoying the goodness of one another.
• We are a community of fragile human beings, often in need of forgiveness and healing.
• We gather in worship around the Lord Jesus to lift our hearts, minds and voices in praise, to be nourished by God to renew the bonds of community.
• We take time to pray together and support one another whenever we meet for ministry.
• We are an open, welcoming Christian community, reaching out to others, sharing the Good News, inviting people to join us on the journey.
WE ARE CALLED BY JESUS TO CONTINUE HIS MISSION IN OUR PLACE AND TIME.
• God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell in our hearts, charging us to proclaim God’s love by our actions and words.
• We are called to be servants – Good Samaritans, foot-washers like Jesus.
• We are called to live simply, as Jesus lived, sharing our time and resources with those in need, promoting God’s kingdom of justice and peace.
• Each of us is empowered and co-responsible for carrying out the mission of our parish.
(Adopted January 2007)
Click here for a downloadable version.
Click here to read St. Thomas' External Communications Policy