Providing a Safe Environment for Children
By: Web Editor | Last Updated: 06/07/2012 13:43
Our Parish, St. Thomas the Apostle, is committed to protecting children and has implemented the following:
• Protecting God’s Children Workshops are required for employee or volunteer who is involved with minors on a regular, recurring basis and those who may have an opportunity to be alone with children during parish, school or religious education sponsored events.
• Background checks (through an approved licensed agency) on volunteers working with children
• Safe Touch Program, a sensitive, developmentally appropriate approach to providing children with knowledge and skills needed to avoid becoming victims of sexual abuse. Presented in Grades K – 8th in our Religious Education Program and at All Saints Catholic Academy
• Parent Session presented each fall with award winning Video: “What Do I Say Now”. Poignant vignettes and practical examples show parents how to teach children key touching safety rules and how to respond to a child's disclosure of abuse.
• Diocesan Policies and Standards of Behavior for Those Working with Minors distributed to parents yearly
As a precaution, parents should escort their children while in the church or ministry center, as well as in any public place, especially in public restrooms.