St. Thomas is joining with “Companions, Journeying Together, Inc.” to provide packets of stationery and note cards for women in prison. Communication with loved ones and other people who can be supportive is very important for people who are imprisoned. It helps keep them grounded and better prepares them for their release. It is also important for families, especially children, to hear from their loved ones.
What this means to recipients: “You can’t know how much it means to know that there are people who care for me and my children.” “The cards in my packet were so pretty. Thank you for remembering us.”
There will be a collection box in the Gathering Area through Monday, February 25 for the following supplies:
- Stationery (these do not need to be complete sets)
- Cards (blank note cards, “thank you”, “thinking of you”, Mother’s Day)
- Gallon size Ziploc bags
- Postage stamps
- Donations to help cover delivery costs (checks made out to Companions, Journeying Together, Inc.)
Avoid cards or stationery:
- With images of Caucasian families.
- Which have notes about masses or novenas.
- With anything glued, pasted, or taped on it or with stickers or glitter attached.
- That is very old or yellowed. Provide the recipients with something attractive to send their loved ones.