Receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation is about deepening your relationship with God, directing your life more closely to Christ, and relying on the Holy Spirit to give you the gifts to lead the incredible life of faith and service to which God is calling you.
The St. Thomas Confirmation program has a long tradition of youth and parent participation and strong faith formation. The 2019 – 2020 program plan is still in progress; however, you can find information about the previous years below. For more information contact Dorothy Grantham.
Dorothy Grantham at email@example.com
Confirmation preparation is a two-year process. Following accordingly, teens must complete all necessary components of the program for two years to be eligible to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. The earliest date for receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation would be the spring of sophomore year.
This is not a one-size-fits-all program. As always, we are open to working with everyone on a case by case basis to address the time-frame and format of these requirements that make the most sense for each teen and family.
A main component of the High School Confirmation and Youth Ministry program at Saint Thomas is preparation for and receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation. The two-year process consists of the following components:
Can be done any year, Grades 9-11, but is typically done Freshmen year:
- Attendance at Journey Nights.
- Completion of the Journey Program Service requirements (20 hours throughout the school year).
- Freshmen are required to participate in Freshmen Small Groups, as well as attend a one day Freshmen Journey Retreat.
- Sophomores and above in their first year of prep should attend monthly LIFE Community Nights as their small group experience, in addition to having the option of jumping right into the Year 2 retreat, called LIFE Retreat.
For Year 1 Registration forms, please click here.
Can be done any year, grades 10-12, but is typically done Sophomore year:
- Continued enrollment and attendance at Journey Nights.
- Completion of the Journey Program service requirements.
- Completion of a weekend LIFE Retreat.
- A semester of class experience (two sessions offered, one in the Fall with the other in the Winter, including multiple time slots per week per session)
- Writing of a “Faith Action Plan”
- Selection of a Confirmation sponsor.
- Attend Confirmation rehearsal and other required meetings.
- Sacrament of Confirmation received in February.
For Year 2 Registration forms, please click here.
Please Note: This is the base program for Freshmen and Sophomores. Teens are also encouraged to get involved in additional optional general youth ministry opportunities and may choose to postpone participation in these offerings if they are undecided about Confirmation or wish to be Confirmed after their Sophomore year.
Options for Involvement Outside of Confirmation Program
Retreat Team: Any teen, sophomore and above, who has attended a LIFE Retreat (the 3-day retreat required for second year of Confirmation prep) is eligible to join our Retreat Team that plans and organizes the upcoming retreats. Generally LIFE Team meets weekly.
Youth Conference (NCYC & RCYC): Every two years a group of young people and adults attend the National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC). This is an amazing experience connecting teens from our parish with over 25,000 Catholic teens from around the country. These conferences are open to any teen interested in participating, whether enrolled in the confirmation program or not.
Mission Trips: We offer a variety of mission trip opportunities. This is a great opportunity for teens passionate about service and justice and living out the call in Matthew 25 to really dive deeper into what it means to truly be a servant. Information is usually provided in the late fall or winter prior to the trip dates.
Pancake Breakfasts: Teens volunteer to serve at pancake breakfasts throughout the year. Funds go to subsidize mission trips.
Life Community Nights and Catholic Teen Nights: These are open youth nights for any St. Thomas high school teen and their friends. Come to share real pain, real joys and experience real community, real faith, real life! LIFE Community Nights generally run from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. on Thursdays once a month throughout the school year. Some LIFE Community Nights, when combined with Catholic churches throughout the area, we call Catholic Teen Nights. A 2019 – 2020 schedule will be posted soon.