From the Office of the Parish Nurse
Saturate your diet with these 9 inflammation-quelling foods.
You’re probably painfully aware of the inflammation associated with a twisted ankle or a hammered thumb. But you can’t feel low-grade inflammation, which can operate in stealth mode for years until it reveals its ugly head as cancer, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or heart disease. Fight inflammation with our top nine foods.
1. Broccoli — work it into soups, pasta dishes, stir-fries, salads and egg dishes such as frittatas.
2. Wheat berries — toss chewy cooked wheat berries with chopped vegetables and lemon vinaigrette for an inflammation-busting lunch salad.
3. Extra virgin olive oil — use the oil to make homemade salad dressings as well as pesto. Drizzle over sliced tomatoes.
4. Lentils — serve in soups and salads, or experiment with as a replacement for ground meat in burgers and meatloaf.
5. Salmon — try using salmon in tacos, sandwiches, salads and pasta dishes.
6. Grapefruit — try broiling grapefruit halves until darkened and then top with a dollop of Greek yogurt; or use in a salad along with onion rings and olives.
7. Brazil nuts — add chopped Brazil nuts to oatmeal, yogurt and salads.
8. Turmeric — use turmeric to season soups, stews and roasted cauliflower. Steep slices of fresh turmeric in hot water for an inflammation-fighting drink.
9. Yogurt — beyond enjoying a bowlful for a snack, use yogurt as a replacement for mayo or sour cream in items like tacos and potato salads.